Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nikon camera (Read 7593 times)
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Nikon camera
04.04.09 at 21:41:13

We are thinking of getting a camera for Sophie's birthday present, partly on Bob's recommendation to get a Nikon and we were having a demonstration of one today, the D60.

Do you know Bob, or does anyone else if there is any part of the camera containing latex?  The viewfinder appeared to look very rubbery so Sophie didn't handle it.

Thanks, Karen x

Sophie - Type 1 latex allergy
Also allergies to all tree nuts, peanuts & eggs
Carries Epipen
Also severely affected by ME
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Re: Nikon camera
Reply #1 - 06.04.09 at 08:46:54

I have e-mailed Nikon directly this morning to ask so hope they will come back with an answer.

Will let you know if I hear.
Karen x

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #2 - 06.04.09 at 09:11:10

Just received a very QUICK reply from Nikon but not good  Angry Angry Angry

This is what they said:

Nikon European Support 06/04/2009 | 07:53 AM  

Dear Karen ,

Thank you for contacting Nikon technical support regarding Nikon D-SLR's.  

Unfortunately the D-SLR range does have latex rubber in the body grips which may irritate allergy sufferers.  

So disappointed.
Don't know what to do now as Sophie and her dad had their hearts set on a Nikon camera.

Shall have to go and tell them now  cry

Karen x

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
Lewis
Newbies

!

Reply #3 - 06.04.09 at 14:50:40

Hi folks I've just been reading this Nikon Camera thread with some interest and wonder who in Nikon provided this information.

Kim and I wanted to get a camera last year and so the investigations started regarding cameras and latex.  It came down to either Canon or Nikon and I decided that Nikon would be the better choice.

I contacted Nikon and explained that I was looking at either the D40 or the D80.  Nikon raised an incident number (071116-000524) while they investigated and in fact had to contact Japan.  Eventually they asked me to let them know which camera body and which lenses we were interested in.  The following is the reply from Nikon on 11/02/2008.

"Dear Lewis,

I really apologize for the long waiting.

Japan have just replied to us today that they can confirm that the D40 body does not use any naturally occurring latex in parts that the user can come into contact with. Please note however that due to the way the cameras are manufactured the people assembling the cameras may wear latex gloves or their workbench mats contain latex which would come into contact with the camera during the manufacturing process.
This means that whilst the camera itself does not contain latex in parts that the user would come into contact with their may be a residue of latex on the camera body which is there from handling by people wearing latex gloves etc.

With regards to the lens we are still awaiting confirmation on this as it is produced in a different factory using different components. Giving the wrong information obviously has very serious consequences and all avenues of possible latex contamination must be investigated. Cameras and lenses are made up of many different parts which are not all produced in the same factory or location meaning that the investigation is very thorough and will take some time.  

Kind Regards,

Gilad Handler
Nikon Europe Support
www.europe-nikon.com/support"

I then contacted NIikon asking them to check the Nikon D80 with the 18mm-135mm Nikon lens. A little while went by and I hadn't heard from them so I called and they confirmed that the Nikon D80 was also latex free and that the lens was absolutely fine too.

With this information to hand Kim and I bought the Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm lens and I have to say it's an absolutley incredible camera that takes the most amazing images.  Better still I have had no allergic reaction or anaphylactic shock so what can I say....?

I hope this information helps and please feel free to use either my name or incident reference number should you wish to contact Nikon support yourselves.

Bye for now

Lewis

Email   IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - 06.04.09 at 15:11:07

I agree with Lewis.   I have a Nikon D90 with several lenses.   Paula has handled it with no ill effects whatsoever.

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #5 - 07.04.09 at 21:04:53

Thanks so much Lewis.

That info was so helpful and you got much more detailed information back than I did.  The reply came from the same place that yours was from but a different person, John Murphy, Nikon Europe Support.

I am going to contact them again to see what they say before we go ahead.

It is so frustrating when we get different information from the same company given to us isn't it  Angry

This is the difference as well to the company as to whether we purchase one of their products or not so you would think they would get it right!

Will let you know what they say.

Karen x

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
Teddy
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - 08.04.09 at 11:44:42

Hi Karen

I know Sophie wants a camera for her birthday so hopefully the news from Bob and Lewis will help you out here. I know how frustrating it is getting this news from Nikon when that is what Sophie wants.

Hope this information from Lewis and Bob helps and see what Nikon say when you get back to them

Take care

Teddy Smiley

Love to Sophie kiss

Teddy
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #7 - 15.04.09 at 22:24:59

Well I did contact Nikon again and they were very prompt again in replying and said they would look into it again and asked for info on what camera we wanted them to check out.  

After reassurance from both Bob and Lewis that they had Nikon camera's and had suffered no reactions, we decided to go ahead anyway and get one.

It was Sophie's birthday today and she has been using her camera ALL day with no reaction whatsoever and is fine with it.  A great camera too, she has taken hundreds of shots already!!

Thanks all, times like this when the forum is such a help and support.
Karen and a very happy Sophie  Grin

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
Bob
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - 16.04.09 at 08:24:58

That's great news Karen. Which model did you get?

A 'Veteran' - active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve - is one who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
  IP Logged
Karen and Sophie
Top Member

Reply #9 - 17.04.09 at 22:32:32

Still loving the camera  Smiley

We got her a D50 on e-bay in the end, quite a bargain really with two lenses, bag, memory card and about 20 filters and it arrived in excellent condition.  

She is still reaction free so sure it is going to be fine for her.

Karen x

Carries Epipen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print